So, you’re in the market for an HRIS. Whether your company is scaling and needs a platform to scale with it, or you’re considering a migration to a new vendor, you’ve come to the right place.
We’re going to walk through how to make an effective HRIS software comparison, so you can begin thinking about the things your unique organization might want to look for in a platform. Every company has different needs, so it’s important to prioritize what’s most important to your unique organization.
All-in-one or best-of-breed
An all-in-one HR Solution is often alluring for HR and Finance teams seeking simplicity. You don’t need to evaluate and implement multiple tools, as many of the features and functionality are included.
The problem is, the breadth of features often impedes the depth of functionality for each.
While they may integrate with best-of-breed tools, like Payroll, they may also be locked out of those marketplaces as a competitor. These products are developed with a one-size-fits-all approach, and typically only meet minimum requirements around compliance and HR Program effectiveness.
A best-of-breed, integration-first HRIS is ideal for organizations that want the best software in market for each stage of their candidate and employee lifecycle. In today’s hyper-competitive talent landscape, innovative organizations understand that they need to go beyond compliance and reactive HR to create a stellar employee experience that engages and retains their best people.
It’s not uncommon for growing companies to migrate from an all-in-one PEO/ HRIS to dedicated tools as they increase their People Operations sophistication. Sure, multiple tools adds some complexity to your HR tech stack, but it allows you to build exactly what your unique organization needs to build a winning culture and workforce.
Regardless of whether you choose an all-in-one or best-of-breed HRIS, it’s important to consider whether the platform integrates with your must-have HR, Recruiting, IT, and Finance systems.
You don’t want to manually export information from one tool, and import it into another. For instance, from your ATS into your HRIS, or from your time and attendance tool into your payroll system. Look at whether each HRIS integrates with your preferred:
- Applicant Tracking System
- Background check provider
- Payroll solution
- Benefits provider
- Time and attendance tool
- Feedback and performance tool
- Learning and development tools
- Productivity and communication tools
- Email provider
- Single sign-on provider
Look for an HRIS that goes beyond compliance to provide a stellar employee experience with features like:
- Self-service portal: Allow team members to self-navigate their onboarding and day-to-day employee experience with software that makes life easy for your whole company.
- Employee onboarding: Improve your new hire experience with an HRIS that offers a strategic, engaging new hire onboarding program.
- Organizational chart: Help employees understand your organizational structure and provide access to real-time changes such as employee departures, title changes, and contact information.
- Team directory: Help employees stay connected with their location, team and other groups.
- Time Off Tracking: Create custom policies and provide an easy time off request and approval experience for employees and managers, while giving administrators visibility with a globally integrated calendar.
Increase efficiency and productivity with:
- Automated workflows: Streamline processes and reduce non-compliance risk with workflows that assign tasks, trigger personalized emails, and send reminders when tasks are not completed.
- Email Templates: Streamline communications with custom email templates that can be sent to individuals or groups of team members.
- eSignaturing: Eliminate the need to print, sign, and scan paperwork.
- Calendar integrations: Sync relevant information to your calendar, such as activity due dates, new hire start dates, employee exit dates, anniversaries, and birthdays.
- Account provisioning: Automate the setup of key systems, such as G-Suite, Slack, Okta, Onelogin, and more.
Make data-driven decisions with configurable, permission-based reporting and dashboards:
- HR and Manager Dashboards: Track and manage key information across your organization, such as headcount growth, turnover data, and onboarding ramp progress.
- Custom Reporting: Drill down into the exact information you want to see with easy to build, customizable reporting and analytics.
- History and audit abilities: Retain archived field history data of all your employee data, helping you comply with industry regulations related to audit capability and data retention.
Privacy and security
Keep your employee data safe with:
- Permission settings: Keep employee data secure by providing access only to those who need it.
- GDPR compliance: Maintain compliance with GDPR if you have employees in the European Union.
Get the help you need, when you need it, with:
- Implementation: Get support and learn best practices during your implementation and data migration process.
- Customer success: Get the level of customer support you need, whether it’s a email support, phone support, an online knowledge base, or even a dedicated customer success representative.
- Product updates: Learn about each vendor’s product roadmap, how future integrations and features align with your needs, and how your feedback might impact the roadmap.
Final thoughts on making a thorough HRIS software comparison
Choosing the right HRIS comes down to prioritizing the features and functionality that are the most important to your organization, and finding the platform that can deliver on your must-haves. Consider you evaluation criteria early, so you can go into product demonstrations with a clear understanding of what you’d like to see.
Make sure the demo is tailored to your prioritized features and functionality so you can ensure they will actually meet your needs, and be careful not to get distracted by features that aren’t important to your organization.
When you go into the process with a strong understanding of what you’re looking for, you can make a solid HRIS software comparison.