We’ve come across many members in our people ops community that are tasked with building out their own people ops teams. At Sapling, we're lucky enough to work with thought-leaders who have experienced this growth process and some of the do's and dont's they've learned when growing a people ops team.
This blog highlights the keys to structure your team and onboarding strategies that can help your team ramp to productivity and development quickly in our webinar, “Hiring, Scaling, Structuring your people ops team” moderated by Sapling’s CEO, Bart Macdonald, accompanied by the following panel of industry thought leaders:
- Jessica Simmons - US Culture & People Manager, Onfido
- Avantha Arachchi - Director of Talent, Gerber Technology
- Sara Wong - People Operations Manager, Eden
Watch the entire recording on-demand here!
Key takeaways from the discussion were:
- Hiring: Hire someone in People Ops as soon as possible to help establish policies and culture.
- Structuring: The "magic number" of Company/People Ops ratio is dependent on business goals + stage. Seek for minimum 100:1, and building out "full-stack-" team.
TIP: One ratio that is helpful is using your companies Customer Success<> Customers ratio, the same ratio should be applied in People Ops, HR<>Employees
- Scaling: Use Qualitative + Quantitative data when building a business case to hire a People team.
TIP: Hire someone on a temp basis, with an opportunity to convert to FT if OKR's are met, making sure to document their work!
- Software: Implement purpose-built software to provide tool connectivity, analytics, and automation, so you can focus on the strategic aspect of your role.